PMI’s Job Growth & Talent Gap Report estimates that globally, 2.2 million project-oriented roles will need to be filled each year until 2027 to fill in the number of needed project managers in the current job gap. While project management courses and certifications are not a must, there are always new management and marketing techniques being introduced, and taking classes can help stay current on new ideas.
97% of businesses believe that good project management training is crucial to organizational success (Source: PricewaterhouseCoopers). Yet barely half have project managers who have taken recent courses or are certified in project management.
Completing project management courses brings you up to date on the latest in marketing, including Agile, Scrum, or PMP+ modules. After all, a wide variety of skills can help a company’s workflow run smoothly.
Furthermore, if you are planning to work in growing business sectors in China or India, these certifications are necessary to show that you are prepared to handle the job.
With almost two-thirds of global companies using outsourced project managers (PMI’s 2018 Pulse of the Profession Report), now is an excellent time to enroll. If you are new to the idea of project management, you may want to start with some free training courses or webinars, which we will detail in the article below.
This guide will talk about the best project management classes you can take, a short summary of what you will learn in each, and what the requirements are for each course.
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
Project Management Professional Certification revolves around three subjects: time, cost, and scope. It is a demanding course that challenges students to identify weak points in a given project. Learning these skills prepares project managers to develop alternatives to project plans under a tight deadline while still delivering milestones toward a successful project.
The PMP certification is accredited by the Project Management Institute (PMI). They are constantly changing the type of projects students are assigned and their different weaknesses to keep the course closely aligned with what is happening in the industry.
Requirements for Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Program
- Work Experience: Three years of experience in the project management field is required to take the course.
- Area Experience: Five years or 7,500 hours of real-world experience in the project management area.
- Personal Experience: A candidate will also need an additional 35+ hours of project management education or similar certification.
Project Management for Designers Certification
Project Management for Designers is aimed at managers who will be heading up creative projects, especially in marketing and design. Kadenze’s project management skills class is specially designed to challenge, using design-related questions. The course is held using a mixture of debates, interviews with people in the field, and real-life scenario projects.
Requirements for Project Management for Designers Certification
- This is an entry-level course, so there are no prior requirements.
CAPM: Certified Associate in Project Management
The Certified Associate in Project Management program is designed to demonstrate your understanding of the basic knowledge, language, ideas, and processes of effective project management. CAPM is intended to be a five-year course. At the end, you will take a CAPM exam and receive a certification that does not need to be renewed.
Requirements for The Certified Associate in Project Management program
- Education: A college degree or global equivalent.
- Experience: 1500 hours of project experience or 23 hours of project management education.
Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) – Agile Project Management Certification
The CSM: Certified ScrumMaster certification is a professional certification authorizing someone to manage an agile team. Most of these certifications are connected with The Scrum Alliance, a globally recognized institute that promotes an agile team mindset.
CSM can be taken by beginners but is usually used for Scrum Practitioners looking to advance their knowledge. The Scrum Alliance charges $1,000 to $1,400 as an examination and training fee. The course is held over two days and is followed by a test.
Requirements for a Certified ScrumMaster certification
- Knowledge: A basic familiarity with Scrum and agile mentailities.
- Work Completion: You must have completed the Scrum Alliance introductory module, available online.
EdX’s Introduction to Project Management
This course familiarizes project managers with the fundamentals of marketing management as well as more complex topics such as risk management, the different phases of a project, and potential roadblocks.
It is designed to give you a complete overview of what it is like to manage a project from the beginning to the end. The 18-hour course is taught over six weeks.
Requirements for Introduction to Project Management
- This is a beginner’s course and has no prerequisites.
CompTIA Project and certification
The CompTIA Project+ certification exam is meant for managers who are overseeing small to medium-sized projects. The course is intended for people who have at least one year of project management experience and are currently managing a small, less complicated project.
It is a very versatile certification because it covers project management philosophies of several methodologies and frameworks. In addition, the course covers various tools, documentations, and constraints that project managers will face.
Requirements for CompTIA Project and certification
- Experience: At least one year on a project from start to completion.
- Skills: Strong communication skills are a must for this course.
Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) Certification
The Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) Project Management certification is provided by the PMI. The course gives an overview of the Agile mindset and how it is used to solve projects’ problems.
ACP is a globally recognized certification, and completion shows that the student understands the tools associated with the agile mindset and can solve problems using agile techniques.
Requirements for Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) Certification
- Education: An associate’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Work Experience: 2000 hours of work experience and prior experience in an agile workforce.
Edx’s Project Management: Mastering Complexity
The Project Management: Mastering Complexity course offered by edX is specifically designed to put managers in unexpected situations while overseeing complex projects. This class boasts that its coursework covers problems that are often ignored by companies to their own detriment. It is 30 hours long and taught over a five-week period.
Requirements for Project Management: Mastering Complexity
- Although edX has no stated requirements for the course, it is considered an advanced course and will assume a familiarity with management terms, tools, and techniques.
CPMP: Certified Project Management Practitioner
The Certified Project Manager Practitioner course is certified by the EC-Council and focuses on time management and how to get projects completed in real-time. The course is meant for managerial professionals who want to improve their management skills and practice delivering a completed project during a limited time period.
Requirements for the Certified Project Management Practitioner
- Although there are no requirements for this course, it is recommended that candidates take a three-day prep course to get an idea of what to expect.
Certified Project Director – CPD
CPD is a directorial level project management certification and, as such, has strict requirements that must be met before taking the test and for keeping the CPD certification active. As a Certified Project Director, you will be required to do a number of hours in field duty every year to maintain your certification.
You can take an informal CPD course at your own pace with no formal exam and no certification to maintain — however, CPD is considered one of the most prestigious certified project management courses, so it is probably worth the effort to take the formal course.
Requirements for the Certified Project Director
- Experience: You need to prove that you have advanced knowledge of project management methodologies and extensive experience in the project management field.
- Preparation: To take the exam, you must show, through oral examination or completed project hours, that you have the skills necessary to lead complex projects and deliver products even under constrained circumstances.
Certified Project Manager – CPM-IAPM
Certified Project Manager – CPM is a course on how to deliver a complete project under pressure. It focuses on having managers benchmark their skills through hands-on experiences. This certification is globally recognized by project management training institutes and prepares managers to deal with high-stress situations they may face while working on a project.
Requirements for the Certified Project Manager
- There are no requirements for this course, but it is recommended that you train for this course before taking it as the amount covered in the course is extensive, and there is not much time to get adjusted to the fast-paced schedule.
How We Can Help
We understand how difficult it is to find management courses to meet your needs. Welcome brings marketing project teams together in a single workspace to share plans, collaborate on assets, and flawlessly execute campaigns. Interested in what we do? Get started with a free Welcome account today!