A strong workflow is key to a successful marketing campaign. While experienced marketers armed with powerful tactics can achieve satisfactory results, a well-structured workflow will help you outrun the competition.
A marketing workflow is like IKEA assembly instructions. Following it takes your marketing team straight to its goals, but avoiding it could lead to frustration, unfortunate mistakes, and…a sofa instead of a kitchen cabinet.
Learning how to create a top-notch marketing workflow can streamline your marketing campaign and boost your company’s profitability.
Let’s take a closer look at what marketing workflows are all about.
What is a Marketing Workflow?
A marketing workflow is a series of steps your marketing team takes to achieve a certain marketing goal. When you create a workflow, you outline each step, set the rules, identify responsibilities, and explain the requirements.
A workflow can look like a list of steps or a visual representation of your team’s journey toward a certain goal, complete with charts and diagrams. The format depends on the size of your team, the complexity of the campaign, your industry, and the resources you work with.
No matter what your workflow looks like, proper marketing workflow management is bound to help you structure your marketing campaign and avoid team collaboration issues.
According to Welcome’s market research, 44% of marketers say their companies made incremental investments in collaboration and workflow tools over the past year. While these changes were made mostly due to COVID-related remote operations, the convenience of these tools is making companies hold on to them beyond the pandemic.
Why Are Marketing Workflows Important?
Marketing teams face a variety of issues that keep them from reaching their goals. They include collaboration problems, lack of tools, and a poor understanding of the campaign’s structure. A well-built workflow can streamline your team’s work.
- Improved collaboration: a workflow allows team members to get a clear picture of their responsibilities. This keeps marketers on the same page and saves time you’d otherwise spend on repetitive explanations.
- Easier management: team leaders can oversee the work process without monitoring minor details. This leads to increased productivity and eliminates unnecessary micromanagement.
- Better results: when your team knows the series of steps to follow and has all the necessary tools to get the job done, it’s bound to achieve excellent results.
- Higher efficiency: a workflow helps you centralize your marketing effort, thus simplifying your team’s work and improving efficiency. The centralized effort eliminates the need for multiple meetings, allowing your team to focus on its core tasks.
- Avoiding duplicate work: centralization of the effort keeps your team members from going through loads of data in deep email threads, thus helping them avoid duplicate work.
Besides improving your marketing campaign and boosting your company’s profitability, a marketing workflow increases employee satisfaction. When your team knows which steps to follow and has access to a centralized location for all resources and reporting, it’s more likely to be satisfied with its work.
How to Build a Marketing Workflow
To build an effective marketing flow, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Understand the goal of your campaign
- Identify the marketing tasks you need to complete this goal
- Put these tasks in a logical order
- Identify the time needed for each task
- Assign responsibilities to each team member
- Identify managers for workflow oversight
Once you create a marketing workflow, you need to make sure your team understands it. Don’t hesitate to incorporate the input you get from team members into the workflow.
More often than not, your marketing team has valuable insight into the workflow’s structure and efficiency.
Marketing Workflow Examples
These marketing workflow examples can help you get started.
Content Marketing Workflow
Content marketing is the key to a successful marketing campaign. Everything from keyword research for SEO to video optimization for YouTube channels requires a well-structured workflow.
A content marketing workflow is a step-by-step guide to planning, developing, and posting the content your team creates.
- Create a content plan: plan each piece of content and come up with an overall structure to make it easier for writers to follow. Several team members are responsible for content plan creation, including marketing managers and content marketing specialists. An integrated content marketing calendar can help you streamline your workflow.
- Identify the timeframe: each team member should have a clear understanding of the amount of time they have until each piece needs to be delivered. Map tasks out in chronological order.
- Develop the content: once the plan is ready, copywriters, designers, and video creators can start developing content. Once the content is available, it requires editing and proofreading.
- Add images: each piece of content can be complemented by images and/or videos.
- Approve the content: external and internal stakeholders need to approve the content before it is published.
- Publish the content: publish the content across the channels you’ve identified when creating a content plan.
- Monitor the content: once the content is published, you’ll need to monitor its progress, reply to comments, and analyze feedback.
For the content marketing workflow to be effective, it’s imperative to define the goal of each piece of content. This will give all team members something to focus on while working through each step of the workflow.
Email Marketing Workflow
Email marketing workflows can help you speed up an email marketing campaign and boost its ROI to as much as 3800%. With the right approach to email automation, you can achieve excellent results for different elements of your strategy.
- Determine the goal: you need to have a clear goal for each part of your email marketing campaign (lead nurturing, conversion, retention, re-engagement, etc.)
- Identify the tasks: determine which actions need to be taken to achieve the goal (email list building, content creation, email automation).
- Evaluate content needs: figure out what type of content you need to achieve the goal (promotional content, personalized content, special offers, education, re-engagement, etc.)
- Determine the design: since the design of your email can determine its open rate and customer engagement levels, identify the elements that need special attention (subject line, content length, images).
- Create the content: delegate the task to appropriate content creators.
- Test the email: once the email is ready, it must be proofread, reviewed, and tested.
- Send the email: you may want to take advantage of email marketing automation tools to schedule and send your emails.
Once your emails are sent, you need to monitor their progress according to key metrics and use the reporting data to adjust your marketing campaign. Monitoring and analytics should be a part of the automated workflow.
Search engine optimization is a complex marketing strategy that includes a huge variety of intertwined tactics. To make sense of the process and speed up your campaign, a solid workflow is a must-have.
- Define the SEO structure: all your team members should be on the same page about your SEO tactics work and the goals they aim to achieve.
- Determine the set of tasks: each SEO tactic, from improving on-page SEO to link building, requires a clear set of tasks designed to support it. By determining and outlining these tasks, you can untangle the complex web of SEO activities across the company.
- Delegate responsibilities: match each of the tasks with teams or team members responsible for their delivery.
- Analyze the performance: once the SEO tactics begin working, make sure to analyze their performance.
Consider taking advantage of SEO automation tools to streamline your workflow and minimize time-consuming tasks. You can automate such activities as keyword research, technical SEO monitoring, keyword tracking and measurement, and much more.
Social Media Workflow
The social media marketing team faces a variety of challenges that include identifying key goals, creating timely content, and missing publishing deadlines. A solid workflow can help battle these challenges while improving your digital marketing campaign.
The goal of a high-quality social media workflow is to schedule and publish error-free content in a consistent and efficient manner.
- Generating ideas: brainstorming is an essential part of social media publishing. You can come up with either new ideas or repurpose content used on other marketing channels.
- Gathering assets: give your team access to resources that help them come up with solid updates and articles for social media publishing.
- Creating a calendar: a social media calendar is a content publishing guide. It can help your team understand when, where, and how social media posts will be published.
- Assigning tasks: each team member should understand what they are responsible for (content writing, scheduling, publishing, replying to comments, creating paid ads, etc.). This will allow them to collaborate most efficiently.
- Creating content: create content for social media ads and posts according to schedule.
- Reviewing and publishing: review, revise, improve, and publish content (or setting up paid ads).
- Analyzing: assess social media campaign performance to adjust the next batch of posts and ads.
The key to a successful social media workflow is understanding who is responsible for which task and when it must be delivered.
Streamlining Your Marketing Workflows
Marketing workflows are an essential part of a successful marketing strategy. By giving your team a clear assignment, complete with deadlines and responsibilities, you aren’t just ensuring the strategy’s success. You are giving your company a chance to outdo the competition.
Welcome‘s Marketing Workflow Management Software is designed specifically to help you design and manage workflows in the most efficient way possible.
Ready to give it a try? Get started with a free Welcome account today!